Martial Law
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Start of Turn/Powers/GK

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Exitus Acta Probat

Exitus Acta Probat

Start of Turn/Powers/GK Empty
PostSubject: Start of Turn/Powers/GK   Start of Turn/Powers/GK Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 4:09 pm

(stealing from my own blog, and expanding the response base)
Conundrum:

BRB FAQ:(units in reserves vs abilities)
Q: If a unit is in reserve, and it has an ability that occurs at
the start of a turn can they use that ability on the turn they
arrive? (p94)
A: No. Unless specifically stated otherwise.

GK Psychic Communion(reserve manipulation)
...This power is used at the beginning of the Grey Knights Movement Phase. If the psychic test is successful, you can modify any reserve rolls made this phase by by +1 or -1...

Okay, now this (kind of) smacks of lawyering, and may be answered somewhere I am not seeing, BUT...I am finding nothing in the rules that would prevent a GK IC with this power from manipulating his(or other units) reserve rolls while he is in reserve.

Beat me up if I am missing something obvious, or has already been discussed to death, but am I wrong?
Back to top Go down
http://exitusactaprobat1.blogspot.com/
Hand of Dume

Hand of Dume

PostSubject: Re: Start of Turn/Powers/GK   Start of Turn/Powers/GK Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 7:00 pm

I'm not seeing in your description anywhere that says THIS is an exception to the BRB rule. I would say, IMO of course, that the IC with the ability would already have to be on the table.
Back to top Go down
Exitus Acta Probat

Exitus Acta Probat

PostSubject: Re: Start of Turn/Powers/GK   Start of Turn/Powers/GK Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 8:11 pm

Sorry,
to clarify...
there is actually no rule(that I can find, anywhere in the BRB) that states a unit must be on the battlefield in order to affect it.
We have precedents (that admittedly have been handled within their own codices...codii...whatever) that allow units to do so specifically...but were written without wording that allowed them to, and had to be FAQd to make it clear.
The only difference I am seeing with this p-power, and say the Astropath, is blanket vs active...so the question more becomes;
can you utilize a choice/dice driven ability/power off table?
Which is why my wording choice from the original post is...well, poor at best. More personal thought being thrown onto the webz.

Most people I've talked to have your same feeling...which has led me to step off trying it in games, and means I have no idea how it may be FAQd (and being utterly ignored would be the same answer as 'no' to me)...
but I'm still wondering, as this one is kinda new territory for powers...

Back to top Go down
Hand of Dume

Hand of Dume

PostSubject: Re: Start of Turn/Powers/GK   Start of Turn/Powers/GK Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 10:30 pm

You could compare it to the Hive Commander ability and/or the ability for an Eldar Autarch ability "Master Strategist". The M.S. ability actually says the Autarch can be in reserve and it still works... but the Hive Commander ability doesn't state that the tyrant can be off the table and still work....

That's how I came to my conclusion.
Back to top Go down
Exitus Acta Probat

Exitus Acta Probat

PostSubject: Re: Start of Turn/Powers/GK   Start of Turn/Powers/GK Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2011 6:17 am

Yeah,
and that's where it boils down to judgements. Precedent.

But GW has been...inconsistent with those in the past. Very Happy

I'm genuinely curious to see if it gets FAQd, as I cannot remember a rule that defines off board/on board interaction. On a case by case basis, we don't have a solid precedent. And none that specifically deals with more active(less passive) instances.
I'm as curious to see if it gets FAQd for setting an off board consensus as anything else.

Back to top Go down
Wayno

Wayno

PostSubject: Re: Start of Turn/Powers/GK   Start of Turn/Powers/GK Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 1:11 am

Exitus Acta Probat wrote:
But GW has been...inconsistent with those in the past.

Yes Indeed They Have!!!
Back to top Go down
Warmonger

Warmonger

PostSubject: Re: Start of Turn/Powers/GK   Start of Turn/Powers/GK Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 9:23 pm

Since there is no specific precedence set for specifics (p-powers vs abilities, blanket vs active) and so on I believe you should step back and look at the larger picture. In a broader sense regardless of the situation it seems there is only one incidence where it is allowed and it is stated in the codex as such. Codex over-rules the BRB.

While it doesn't state in the BRB that you can't use these abilities while off the table, it doesn't say you can either. Until GW answers this, IMO you need to be on the board.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Start of Turn/Powers/GK   Start of Turn/Powers/GK Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Start of Turn/Powers/GK
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Martial Law :: 40k Articles and Editorials-
Jump to: