HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Back to the drawing board (so to speak); off-board abilities

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Exitus Acta Probat

PostSubject: Back to the drawing board (so to speak); off-board abilities   Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:55 pm

So, I will start another ball (re)rolling.

Where (anywhere) in the rules does it state a model must be 'on the table' in order to utilize an ability?

This is in reference to 'psychic communion' (GK) specifically...
and, though I know it is quite often scoffed at as a source, someone did call the Cust Service line to clarify a few things (prior to FAQ release) and they stated that they were allowing GK players to utilize P-Communion from 'off-board' to influence reserves.

With pretty much ALL abilities that would fall under this stricture, SOMETHING prevents it in the normal rules sequence (ie;you can't target from off field, as you cannot draw LOS...or measure a range...etc)...
but with P-Comm, you are manipulating reserve rolls...which would SEEM to imply an intended off-field use.

Yes, some opines were flown already, but I was hoping for a more in-depth cuss/discussion of this.

By RAW, there seems to be NO impediment.
Does anyone have a RAW counter?
Does anyone have a TRUE RAI counter?
Or do we want to just say 'it ain't worth the headache of trying'? (in which case, I still want to run this thread out to see if I/anyone else, can be persuaded to change their mind in this regard)
Back to top Go down
http://exitusactaprobat1.blogspot.com/
Makari

PostSubject: Re: Back to the drawing board (so to speak); off-board abilities   Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:57 am

Is there a reference for the Tyranid power of the same type? I know it got FAQ'd.

We are in Common Law in Ohio and 49 states in the US so what ever the ruling for he Tyranid power should be the ruling for the Greyknights...

But I haven't found the rule that would allow or disallow yet but I will look.
Back to top Go down
Exitus Acta Probat

PostSubject: Re: Back to the drawing board (so to speak); off-board abilities   Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:09 am

The problem arises from consistency...
No, u cannot use (IIRC) the 'nid power off table, but you CAN use the astropath...and both are blanket/passive powers, requiring no 'active' roll to implement (and neither are psychic)
P-communion is a wholly different animal.
IIRC, the eldar Autarch power also works 'off table' (though again, relatively passive, non-psychic, ability).

Precedent is too muddy to rely on that primarily.
Back to top Go down
Hand of Dume

PostSubject: Re: Back to the drawing board (so to speak); off-board abilities   Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:32 am

I don't think any of "them" is a psychic power.

Let's just play the friggin' game and have some fun!
Back to top Go down
Exitus Acta Probat

PostSubject: Re: Back to the drawing board (so to speak); off-board abilities   Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:20 pm

Yeah, as far as I can tell Psychic Communion is unique, in that regard.

Back to top Go down
Warmonger

PostSubject: Re: Back to the drawing board (so to speak); off-board abilities   Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:57 pm

But doesn't the Autarch's ability specifically state that t can be used if he isn't on the board?

PostSubject: Re: Back to the drawing board (so to speak); off-board abilities   Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:11 pm

Warmonger wrote:
But doesn't the Autarch's ability specifically state that t can be used if he isn't on the board?

Yes, it does....

Let's just play the friggin' game and have some fun!
Back to top Go down
Exitus Acta Probat

PostSubject: Re: Back to the drawing board (so to speak); off-board abilities   Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:12 pm

but, until the FAQ was released, the astropath did not...and was assumed by 'most' that it did.
(which was then supported by the FAQ)

this string is less about the specific power, and more about how we interpret power/status interactions.

before we began having abilities/powers/spcl rules that DID allow for off-table interaction, it was (assumed) moot...but the simple fact there are makes me question whether assumptions 'we cannot' are off base from the designer's viewpoint.

With regards to p-powers, there is nothing that restricts their use (with regards to off/on table assets) besides specific rules restrictions that require LOS, range measurements, and the 'start of turn' FAQ restriction that appears to apply SOLELY to an out of date codex (eldar)...etc etc...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Back to the drawing board (so to speak); off-board abilities   

Back to top Go down

Back to the drawing board (so to speak); off-board abilities
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1