Martial Law
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Necron "Rapid Deployment"

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Hand of Dume

Hand of Dume

Necron "Rapid Deployment" Empty
PostSubject: Necron "Rapid Deployment"   Necron "Rapid Deployment" Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 12:33 pm

We all know Necrons can be super speedy in the standard movement phases. But one thing I never see people talk about is the speed necrons can move on to the table.

So if you don't know yet, I'm a bit of a concept list fan. And this is no exception, what it does bring with it is some interesting tactics and game play that can range from fun to down right nasty in the right situation.
The idea is build a force that can be deceivingly small, under powered and vacant from the field, then turn into a strong long range, focus fire alpha shooting strike force.

First lets list it then theory hammer it up a bit.

HQ Imotekh (what list doesn't start there?)
HQ OverLord (Or Court opener as I like to call him)
Court 1
Harbinger of Destruction (HoD's) x 5
One with a solar pulse
Court 2
HoD x 5
One with solar pulse

Elite:
C'Tan with Grand Illusion
and Entropic touch / Lord of fire (Due to point cost)

Troops:

Warriors x 9
Warriors x 9
Warriors x 5

Fast Attack:

Heavy Destroyers x 3
Heavy Destroyers x 3

Heavy Support:

Monolith
Monolith

So what we're doing here is to set up a "water" list that will react, or flow with what the enemy is doing by manipulating night fight and creating a first and second turn shooting attack that has the chance to do the damage needed to ride out the game.

As with all things in general, there's a trick, so lets just get it out first and rip it apart later.

Monolith = 1st turn reserves!!!

I know what your thinking so take this time to go get your codex and look it up...page 47 if that helps...

"At the start of the movement phase, choose one friendly non-vehicle Necron unit on the battlefield or in reserve. That unit immediately phases out from it's current position and 'disembarks' from the monoliths portal..."

As you just read, it pulls units from the table or in reserve in the movement phase. You know what movement phase I'm going to use it on? Yea...the first one, that's the ticket!

So standard deployment starts with 2 monoliths and the C'Tan, your opponent deploys, then the tricks come in. Using the C'Tan to pull in D3 units, on average 2 so lets say the 2 destroyers. Then in turn 1 each Monolith brings in the 2 courts. At this point the Crons have a field full of shooting that can focus and destroy at range. Its guaranteed to be night that the Crons can see through in turn one, likely to last for turn 2 and could go to turn 4 or 5.

By the time you roll for reserves in turn 2, then pull any failed units through the Monolith in the movement phase, if you want your entire force might be on the board.

After that the Destroyers have good speed/shooting, Courts are getting their speed from Monolith portals and have strong shooting and not to forget the Mono's have 8/3 ordnance and blocking power.

While using the C'Tan as a counter attacker and attaching the hq's where they fit best, in the 5 man Warrior unit to bring up their numbers and wounds.

So that's about it, could it win a major...probably not.

Could it be fun...sure.

Does it show even more flexibility of the codex...indeed!
Back to top Go down
Warmonger

Warmonger

PostSubject: Re: Necron "Rapid Deployment"   Necron "Rapid Deployment" Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 6:52 pm

Interesting concept, but there is one major flaw. There are no reserves in the first turn. To bring on reserves you need to make 4+ roll in turn 2 and 3+ roll in turn 3 and so on. There is no roll for for reserves to come in on the first turn. You don't just get to choose what you bring in you must roll for it.
Back to top Go down
Hand of Dume

Hand of Dume

PostSubject: Re: Necron "Rapid Deployment"   Necron "Rapid Deployment" Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 7:08 pm

Read the dimensional corridor section in the codex. It's not a reserve roll. It's a special rule for the mono that brings any unit from reserve immediately to the board, no roll. So since its not a reserve roll you can come in first turn.
Back to top Go down
Warmonger

Warmonger

PostSubject: Re: Necron "Rapid Deployment"   Necron "Rapid Deployment" Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 8:13 pm

Read page 94 first sentence on rolling for reserves. The dimensional corridor picks a non vehicle unit or unit in reserve but these units must be available for transport. A unit on the battlefield is available but not a unit on the battlefield that's in HtH combat. A reserve unit must be available before entering the board which only happens starting on turn 2 per BRB by a roll. I don't see anything stating it bypasses the reserves rule.
Back to top Go down
Hand of Dume

Hand of Dume

PostSubject: Re: Necron "Rapid Deployment"   Necron "Rapid Deployment" Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 8:37 pm

I understand what you are saying about reserves. This is a special rule for the mono which bypasses the normal rule for reserves. Via dakka

Check out my post on there.
Back to top Go down
Warmonger

Warmonger

PostSubject: Re: Necron "Rapid Deployment"   Necron "Rapid Deployment" Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 10:50 pm

Dakka isn't official by any means. I don't know how many times I seen stuff wrong on there. Regardless units in reserve are subject to the rules for being in reserve. Where in the Mono special rules does it state that it bypasses the reserve special rules. It says to pick a unit on the battlefield not in HtH or unit in reserves and immediately place them at the corridor. Immediately... Meaning first, before any other movement or reserve moves. It doesn't say bypass reserve rules or may be used in the first turn for reserves. Units in reserve are still subject to the reserve rules. That's how I see it anyways. Unfortunately we just got a FAQ so don't expect anything on it soon.
Back to top Go down
Warmonger

Warmonger

PostSubject: Re: Necron "Rapid Deployment"   Necron "Rapid Deployment" Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 10:02 pm

Ok everybody mark this on your calander. I changed my mind and am retracting my previous opinions on this build ( I old so I'm aloud). Mack and myself have had a few discussions about this and I have read thru BRB, codex, FAQ's and the responses from Macks post. I do see precedence in Grand Illusion so why not. Cool
Back to top Go down
Josh

Josh

PostSubject: Re: Necron "Rapid Deployment"   Necron "Rapid Deployment" Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 12:01 am

Warmonger changing his mind and agreeing with Mack?

Shocked

Good stuff. Interesting article on the use of Monoliths. I am just not sure that the list packs sufficient punch to hurt anything. Not that I play Necrons, but I think that the Monoliths best use, if you are going to use one, is to push up into the midfield with one couple with a Night Scythe list so as the Night Scythes get shot down transported units can roll out of the portal instead of your board edge.
Back to top Go down
Hand of Dume

Hand of Dume

PostSubject: Re: Necron "Rapid Deployment"   Necron "Rapid Deployment" Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 7:25 am

Josh wrote:
Warmonger changing his mind and agreeing with Mack?

Shocked

What's this world coming to?! Wink

I'd like to play test a two mono list of my own using this tactic, just for fun. Two E-lance Courts rolling out of the portals mid field turn 1...

In my dakka thread, a few fellas were discussing rolling scarabs out first turn for a turn two assault backed with night fight protection. Could be brutal...
Back to top Go down
Josh

Josh

PostSubject: Re: Necron "Rapid Deployment"   Necron "Rapid Deployment" Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 9:58 am

It could be a turn one assault easily with scarabs. Start the Monoliths on the line. 2 inch deployment + size of their base + 6 inch move + 1-6 run (because they are beasts now right?) + 12 inch assault = 22-28 inch threat range.

Whoo hoo! Way to find another first turn assault loophole that GW will have to faq like the scarab farms.
Back to top Go down
Hand of Dume

Hand of Dume

PostSubject: Re: Necron "Rapid Deployment"   Necron "Rapid Deployment" Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 10:10 am

Unfortunately the mono isn't an assault vehicle, so they have to sit for a turn.
'the move is otherwise threated exactly as disembarking from a vehicle that has moved at combat speed.'

Although they still get fleet after they "disembark". You can use the fleet to spread out to reduce the effectiveness of pie plates.

Stormlord or pulses will help with shooting too.

Or two full units of wraiths popping out could be effective also.....

Back to top Go down
Josh

Josh

PostSubject: Re: Necron "Rapid Deployment"   Necron "Rapid Deployment" Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 1:07 am

Dot! Helps if I have the codex when I pop off about rules.

Anyhoo, it would be interesting to see this list in action and see how it does.

Last edited by Josh on Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hand of Dume

Hand of Dume

PostSubject: Re: Necron "Rapid Deployment"   Necron "Rapid Deployment" Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 8:43 am

No big deal Josh. Can't own all the codexes and know all the info... I guess you could but that could get expensive, especially with today's GW prices. Wink

Back to top Go down
painnen

PostSubject: hardly mobile.   Necron "Rapid Deployment" Icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 10:57 pm

No offence to your theory crafting up lists but how does this list win Cap and Control or Seize Ground?

Defencive shooting is not going to stop all the Melta's from hitting your monoliths at least once a piece. (that's from most lists). I just don't see anyother way you are going to make it across the board to even contest, let alone hold an objective in your opponent's deployment zone.

I love the idea of throwing crypteks into warrior squads so you can keep coming back to life as a 1-man scoring unit with that RP jive but I just don't see this list out shooting other shooty armies.

You have 10 Str8 shots, a couple battlecannons, and 8 or so Str6 shots. Dark Eldar will throw 20+ darklight weopons at you, Wolves will have 12-15 Missiles and possibly another 6 lascannons, and Guard is worse than either of them.

Good idea, being sneaky and all, but without an assault threat to go into enemy territory and hold up to return assaults/shooting then this list will just be a fun sunday afternoon type list.
Back to top Go down
Hand of Dume

Hand of Dume

PostSubject: Re: Necron "Rapid Deployment"   Necron "Rapid Deployment" Icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 7:50 am

It's not so much the rest of the army filler that the article is talking about, but the use of the monoliths. It would need tweaked to become competitive.
Back to top Go down
Warmonger

Warmonger

PostSubject: Re: Necron "Rapid Deployment"   Necron "Rapid Deployment" Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 12:26 pm

The article is more about deceiveing your oppenent with min deployment and then using the rapid 1st turn redeployment for an alpha strike type situation. Combine that with a scarab swarm first strike and it could be effective. I didn't say competitve as without play testing I'm not sure. Problem I see is that it's probably a one trick pony in that if an opponent knows what to expect he can counter it pretty easy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Necron "Rapid Deployment"   Necron "Rapid Deployment" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1