Martial Law
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Can I predict a field or what?!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Painnen

Can I predict a field or what?! Empty
PostSubject: Can I predict a field or what?!   Can I predict a field or what?! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 9:54 am

Rankings:
1st Overall Champion Warmonger Necrons 3-0, 58 VP's
2nd Best General Jason Crosby IG 2-1, 43 VP's
3rd Best Sportsman Marcus Riddle Eldar 1-2, 39 VP's
4th Adam Agee Orks 2-1, 37 VP's
5th Best Painted EAP Deathwing 2-1, 34 VP's
6th James Agee GK/IG 1-2, 33 VP's
7th Garrett Stacy Vanilla SM 1-2, 20 VP's
8th Brick Award Dylan Bowen Blood Angels 0-3, 1 VP

You guys bring x2. All 3 new bloods showed up but only x2 played. 6-7 locals showed up but only 3 played. x2 new faces from WPAFB showed up but only x1 played.

Attendance there is pretty solid for continual tournament play. It would easily get 12-16 per event (this weekend was GenCon afterall). Considering none of my Co-workers showed as well, you could predict up to 24 if enough ML are encouraged to come.

Nice win there Warmonger! I take it that Adam dropped EAP in round two so you got to slaughter orcs in your last game?! I made a comment to Edge about that paticular game. I thought EAP was ultra annoyed and just couldn't shake the feeling to handle that many orcs. The locals don't exactly "cheat" they just don't realize the importance of precise movement and how it REALLY effects a 'Math Sensitive' game. I really do believe that they look at the big blob of dudes and just move'em. Their plan isn't, "Get to 24", shoot at max range, force a long charge, overwatch if they try it, Move up 6", rapid fire/assault next turn". I think they just move stuff around without having a set battleplan or target priority. My buds always look at me and expect me to interject about it but it wouldn't help. IMO, you practice sloppy, you play sloppy. I honestly believe they just play too fast and sloppy.
Back to top Go down
Painnen

PostSubject: ...   Can I predict a field or what?! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 10:17 am

I would like to point out how many showed up and didn't play in the tournament. (myself excluded due to outside, 8 year old, forces). I touched on the competitive vs. friendly army lists in other posts here. I talked about how some are completely turned off by tournament play. I'd like to think that there is a way to curve that semitism. Just not sure how to do it at that store.

The Nid player, Bear, from one of the Battlereps was there but didn't play. I think I really scared him off of this one. Didn't help that he played against my Co-worker Jonathan and his Necrons. Now Jonny is not all-star but he's about as competitive a playing partner as I've been able to show up week after week. Jonny tabled the poor guy in 4 turns!

The other locals that didn't play are absolutely frightened of you guys. I can understand not wanted to play a tournament when you think you have no chance at winning anything but Edge has prize support for what turned out to be half the field. That's a great way of encouraging the masses to play despite "knowing" they might only go 2-1, 1-2 and being out of contention because of a loss. I don't really think there is a way to shake the fear factor they have of you guys unless you just show up more for PUG's. I can say that they play me despite never beating me and I don't think that there's a fear factor involved. I'll often suffer through a 2v2 5 billion point battle, or a 1v1v1v1 1500pt king of the board match, just to keep them happily playing (and blowing me off the board).

I also try to mingle with all of them. Not that you are anti-social in the least but I'll talk to all of them. Granted it's always about 40k since I don't really REALLY care about their private lives but it goes without saying that once Comp starts showing up as part of your tournament score, you don't want your scoring tanked just because you are Martial Law. (I know I wouldn't). The locals/newbloods would probably take your suggestions to heart as well. I'd expect to see whatever suggestions you guys would give in their lists the next time you saw them. You guys are "that big" to them. Intimidating or not.

I'm just glad there is a nice place to play 40k so close to me. The group isn't full of assholes or dickheads either. I think with you guys around to continue to push the competitive nature of the store, that they all can get better at the game because of your sudden interest in the store. I'm glad you are coming there more often, I like throwing down against you all, appreciate the open forum here to toss around personal views of the game and it's players, and hope to see you all again soon.
Back to top Go down
Exitus Acta Probat

Exitus Acta Probat

PostSubject: Re: Can I predict a field or what?!   Can I predict a field or what?! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 10:33 am

Painnen wrote:

Nice win there Warmonger! I take it that Adam dropped EAP in round two so you got to slaughter orcs in your last game?! I made a comment to Edge about that paticular game. I thought EAP was ultra annoyed and just couldn't shake the feeling to handle that many orcs. The locals don't exactly "cheat" they just don't realize the importance of precise movement and how it REALLY effects a 'Math Sensitive' game. I really do believe that they look at the big blob of dudes and just move'em. Their plan isn't, "Get to 24", shoot at max range, force a long charge, overwatch if they try it, Move up 6", rapid fire/assault next turn". I think they just move stuff around without having a set battleplan or target priority. My buds always look at me and expect me to interject about it but it wouldn't help. IMO, you practice sloppy, you play sloppy. I honestly believe they just play too fast and sloppy.

Actually, wrong breakdown on that, pain(not the final field, but the road to get there).

I smoked the Ork player. I don't generally fear orks with my DW. It just takes patience.
You were correct on the irritation early on, but after round 2(3?) I realized there was no intent on the movement fudging (as you observed) and actually nicely discussed it with him after the game (VERY slight sportsmanship dink for it, but it's how I opened up the conversation...I gave him 1 less than max).

Went up against 'Monger in the last round. Batreps to follow. Made one error in the game with 'Monger, but I think it mattered little in the greater scheme of things. Dragging to turn seven, and a complete failure on his part to lose more than 1 wraith a game-turn (after turn 1, vs ID wounds in abundance) finally took its toll.
had it ended turn 5, I might have won primary and we would have drawn 2/3.
had it ended turn 6, I think we might(?) have drawn primary...but I can't recall for certain 2/3.
turn 7 tabled me in his last assault phase.
not making my error would have prevented the tabling turn 7(most likely), though I think he still would have won 2/3 at that point and we'd have drawn primary.

though 'if wishes were fishes'.
it was a great game, I just got pissed at my dice(and his)!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://exitusactaprobat1.blogspot.com/
painnen

PostSubject: ...   Can I predict a field or what?! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 11:05 am

bravo then! well sorta Rolling Eyes

I thought the orcs had enough to hold the objectives but I didn't really see how many you held. I assume you got 1st blood and a heavy bonus point or two.

I wouldn't think that Orcs put much fear into fearless terminators w/SS but dude, you really looked like you were going to pop. I knew exactly what you were calling Edge over for before he even got there and came back to confirm. We both laughed. It is annoying as hell and it doesn't help that he's got to have the most interesting quirks in a gamer to boot.

Sorry to hear you had problems with so many wraiths. I seriously am. (might encourage him to keep using so damn many! lolz) 12 isn't so bad. 12 is still stressful and takes planning/careful movement but 18 is just dreadful. I think he's really onto something by avoiding relying on flyers so early in 6th Ed. Codex creep is surely going to balance all that cheese out and looks like if you can suffer through the initial sting of the flying circus with a strong list, then you're going to be set-up well for when flakk and interceptor are alot more common.

Nice showing EAP.

Back to top Go down
Drkmorals
Admin
Drkmorals

PostSubject: Re: Can I predict a field or what?!   Can I predict a field or what?! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 12:25 pm

Quote :
The other locals that didn't play are absolutely frightened of you guys.

This is interesting....

One of the reasons I like this club is despite the fact we play a tough game or bring a solid list as a club. None of the active members are WAAC guys or non social in any regard. I know when I play newer players I spend a ton of my time explaining rules or offering advice on tactice while playing.. I will remind people about moves and have even told them things to watch for when playing others for some rules...

I have online and off spent a great deal of time helping players with list building or tactics as well.

I have actually Scene EAP explain to people how to beat him with the list they brought.. lmao..

So is this simply because we are a club? Or has there been a bad experience at the store?

Back to top Go down
Exitus Acta Probat

Exitus Acta Probat

PostSubject: Re: Can I predict a field or what?!   Can I predict a field or what?! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 5:33 pm

painnen wrote:
bravo then! well sorta Rolling Eyes

Yeah, well I am wholly unaccustomed to being tabled! LOL.

painnen wrote:
you really looked like you were going to pop. I knew exactly what you were calling Edge over for before he even got there and came back to confirm. We both laughed.

I called Edge over to watch, but I relaxed after turn 2(or 3?) when I realized it was just excitement/eagerness and no intent on his part. I really think you are right, in that he was just excited.
I don't think I ever completely let the initial irritation go (bled into my last game), but that was as much due to a sinus headache I pretty much had from sunup to sundown.

painnen wrote:
Sorry to hear you had problems with so many wraiths. I seriously am. (might encourage him to keep using so damn many! lolz)

Sometimes you just can't beat the dice, and sometimes they just can't beat you! It happens. I let it frustrate me that game, and that was even more irritating...which fed on itself.
Back to top Go down
http://exitusactaprobat1.blogspot.com/
Warmonger

Warmonger

PostSubject: Re: Can I predict a field or what?!   Can I predict a field or what?! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 7:35 pm

Painen wrote:
Quote :
The other locals that didn't play are absolutely frightened of you guys.

That is bothersome as it is the complete opposite of what we are trying to do. We just want to bring a little more activity to the Northern part of the Dayton area to encourage 40k play and competitiveness. As most of us are seasoned vets we try to use our experience in a positive way. That's how most of us have learned this game by pushing ourselves by playing better and more experienced players than ourselves. Believe me when I say we have all lost our share of games in the process but it has made us better players.

Hopefully the monthly type get togethers that we are trying to have there will help break the ice some and any mediation that you could apply would be greatly appreciated. Myself I talked to 2 of the noobs several times and played one that now wants a rematch. I also met another guy from Springfield who is getting back into the game and asking what we thought was needed for his army. Honestly it does not surprise me that some may feel that way but it bothers me also. It's something to definitely work on. Thanks for the heads up!

Back to top Go down
Hand of Dume

Hand of Dume

PostSubject: Re: Can I predict a field or what?!   Can I predict a field or what?! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 10:07 pm

Public image is very important for us. We try to emit a positive image where ever we may go, whether it's for a pick up game or a tourney. That was a must for us from the beginning when we formed the club.

It would be great if you can talk with the locals at the Bookery and reiterate our sentiments towards making the Bookery our "HQ" and our intentions of growing the 40k community in the area. By no means are we a WAAC club.

And like Monger said... We all have played against better players than ourselves and have learned from it. The best way to gain experience and gain tactical advice is to continually play against better opponents.
Back to top Go down
Painnen

PostSubject: ....   Can I predict a field or what?! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 10:41 pm

Yeah, I don't and never did think you guys were a /facerolling type of club. I was very hopeful for growth in the 40k playerbase with you guys coming. I guess it's just a personna. Not sure why but they always ask me how many of you guys are coming to the event and plan accordingly.

I think it's kinda foolish myself. Escpecially since the things that I suggested would help that image, you are already engaged in. I think they'll come around. I think a new Edition is very good timing to pick Bookery as the HQ. New interest, new lists about every week, and alot of chit chat about "what's good and what's not-so-good".

I don't think there's been anything from a personal level that has caused the apprehension. I think getting their asses whipped on a consistant basis never helped but like you guys have said, adversity is the greatest way to grow as a player.

Again, I look at the Bookery as a sloppy casual hangout that hosts a healthy, if not completely growable (nice word huh?) tournament sceen. The extended prize support is going to go a long way at getting the casuals to become steady competion. Hell, I purchased a few units for the newbs just to show them that tabletop gaming is "the thing to do." The thing is they "know" they can't win against you guys w/out alot of luck. It's just getting them comfortable and getting them something to look forward to besides the auto-loss that's the real trick.

Back to top Go down
Hand of Dume

Hand of Dume

PostSubject: Re: Can I predict a field or what?!   Can I predict a field or what?! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 7:41 am

With your help, this can be achieved.....
Back to top Go down
Wayno

Wayno

PostSubject: Re: Can I predict a field or what?!   Can I predict a field or what?! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 9:40 pm

You mean old Martial Law dudes!! Razz Razz Razz

Seriously we have all been beat several times. And in most of those games we have learned something.

We get together as a club to play each other and those are some brutal battles but some great games and times with like minded friends.

I don't think any of us think we are above anyone. Remember this is a game after all. However we do have some great players and great people in our group. Sometimes those blokes are tough to beat!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can I predict a field or what?!   Can I predict a field or what?! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can I predict a field or what?!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Martial Law :: Contact Martial Law-
Jump to: